This is part 1 of our 5-part PR Mythbusting series. Sorry to break it to you, but everything you thought you knew about PR is probably wrong.
If you’ve ever thought to yourself, “I’ll consider PR once I’ve made it big,” well, you’re missing out. In reality, not only can good PR (true, there are some snake oil salespeople out there) move the needle for your business, its impact can be even bigger if you’re a small business or startup.
No, you can’t go blow a bunch of money today on expensive consultants or big agency retainers. But, by tapping Spry’s on-demand network of experts, you can get real results for less than the cost of Ubering to a sales meeting.
So, just how does PR move your business forward? Done right, PR can impact all stages of your sales funnel:
- Awareness. If nobody knows about you, how can they buy from you? Traditional ways of generating awareness – ads, event sponsorships, digital marketing – can be expensive, or require you pay for each click, or both. PR, on the other hand, can give you the biggest bang for your marketing buck.
- Trust. Whereas people can’t skip over ads fast enough, if an influencer that your customers trust writes about you – giving their implied endorsement – that instantly makes you stand out.
- Demand. We do not subscribe to the “all publicity is good publicity” mantra. Instead, if your content – and what influencers and media say about you – clearly reflects the value you offer customers, you’ll have prospects begging to work with you.
- Revenue. Sharing quality, third party media coverage with prospects is an unparalleled way to grease the wheels and accelerate sales – particularly for sales cycles that are more than just “I saw it in the checkout aisle” impulse purchases.
- Retention. Your customers may love your product, but if they see external coverage about you, they get even more excited – and are even more likely to remain a loyal customer.
- Referral. Speaking of loyal customers (or other fans), arming them with materials others have written about you makes it that much more likely they’ll share it with their networks.
- Recruitment. Wouldn’t it be great if people were knocking down the doors to try to work for you? If you secure great local PR coverage, that can be you.
However, you do need realistic expectations: you probably won’t be on the cover of Wired anytime soon.
Instead, coverage from the publications or influencers that your target customers care about is invaluable. In many cases, those trusted sources are “lower-tier” (read: less intimidating) than you might think: niche local media, industry blogs, or emerging digital influencers.
Knowing the right media and influencers (which Spry uncover for you!) is just the first step; you also need a compelling story. Spry can help with that too – our PR and journalism experts write press releases, blog posts or contributed articles that grab attention and articulate your business value.
So, stop waiting for the “right moment” to try some PR.
Download Spry today and see how on-demand PR can move your business forward.